Sunday, September 14, 2014


Here are some of the items I purchased during the MPB Day 2014 in New York.  What a great time it all was.  I had been following Peters blog for about 2 or 3 years now and when this MPB Day2014 came up I just had to go. I wish I had been more camera savy and taken more pictures. I'll post some of the few pics I took later and share more info when I can get more organized. You can go visit Peter at malepatternboldness and check out his post for it.  What a swell host he was and Michael too!  Peter maintained his freshness and vim and vigor thru out the whole event in white linen pants and a handsome red shirt with white polka dots all over it.  I'm sure his linen pants helped.  Also the lovely weather we had for it was something to be thankful for as well.  I was sooo exhausted afterwards that I slipped away and made my way to the Fareway grocery for some vittles and back the my hotel room with its big fluffy white bed that was soooo comfortable, Ahhhh.
  Above are some of the fabrics I got when I followed some of the gang to what I think was Paron's.  I was inspired by Peter's pants so I decided to try out some linen.  So there is some brownish khaki sorta linen and then the sales man gave me a sample of what is supposed to be a yellow/limey green vibrant coloured linen.  but the camera isn't quite catching the colours of either of these linen fabrics very well.  I've never worn or sewn with linen before.  I've knit with it before.  After seeing how nice Peter's pants were I just had to give it a try.  At first when I got home with the fabric I wasn't sure if I liked it after all since it was kinda stiff.  So I gave it a wash and then it got much softer and had more drape but still with some body so now I like it better now.  Some how I'll incorporate the limey green fabric but that will have to be seen.  Hmmmm, maybe a stripe down each leg or just one.
  The blue ethnic fabric and beads came from this fellow who had all sorts of African fabrics and beads.  I really dig that sort of thing.  So after looking at it all on the first day I decided to check it out again on the second day.  That blue fabric is really a large piece of fabric and I don't know why i was looking at it.  I kept touching it, eyeing it and had already checked out of my room by then. I still had quite some time to wonder around with everything I had brought with me and purchase in tow before I had to be at the bus pick up point at 4pm. So just as I had talked myself out of getting it in my mind the booth owner came over and said what will you give me for it.  I said, well I've got to carry it back with me and its such a large piece of fabric and I just don't think I can carry it around all day, ya know.  He said, No no no, its not that big, as he took his long arms and proceeded to fold it all up into the smallest bundle he could possibly fold into and handed it to me.  I was like, well, I guess its not that big so I just took it and he did give me a bargain on it.  So I stuffed it in my bag and went back to the coffee shop.  Then I decided to lighten my load by ditching most of the clothes I brought with me in a trash bin. They were older clothes anyway and I wasn't that attatched to them.  Anyway, I've been tinkering around with pattern making and I'll probably use the blue fabric for samples.  For the pattern making I've been watching Cal Patch's pattern drafting class on creativebug and using her book,  Design-It-Yourself  Clothes Pattern making Simplified.  I really like this book.  I'll share more about that later and how the pattern making process has been going.

 Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment