Sunday, February 15, 2015

Kitschy Kitchen Crafts


I was in Michaels arts & crafts store the other day and wondering around after I had already found what I needed to just see what was there.  Low and behold this booklet caught my eye and brought back some funny memories.   Ladies from my past had these things on their dish soap bottles.  I also remember seeing them at church craft fairs when I was younger.  They were usually sewn, crochet, or knitted in various ways.  Just the thing for using up scraps or testing out a design theory, :  ).  One of the sales girls who I always run into while shopping at Michaels was there and said, Hey-what ya makin this time?  I showed her the booklet and she laughed and rolled her eyes. I said, Hey-I'm stimulating the economy with this kitsch, LOL, she's always fun to run into.  At first I was going to knit one but then decided to give it a go with some left over scraps and some ribbons. In honor of valentines day I went with the heart theme.  The ribbon at the edge is from the dollar store, the apron itself is out of black felt, the red hearts using red felt and black ribbon for the ties.  Maybe I'll knit one of these aprons up at some point but it sure was fun remembering the ladies I knew back when.  One of the ladies was Mrs. Shirley, the Polish lady that lived across the street who used to look after us while my mom was taking classes at nite for nursing.  She had a dog named Boo and she taught me how to make these layer bar cookies that are so dang good.  I wrote to her many years later asking for the recipe.  We had long since moved away and she sent me the recipe!   She always told me, Go on eat as many as you like.  Ha, that was the first time I ever remember getting a belly ache because I ate so many.  Her husband, when the weather was nice on spring days would blast his Polish music so everyone could hear it.  They invited us over to eat out on their picnic table several times and it was the first time I'd ever had eggplant.  They were such fun neighbors.  Have you got any memories linked to past kitsch/Crafts?  Here's to Kitsch and fond memories :  )

No comments:

Post a Comment